Sunday, June 12, 2011

Concept Map Lesson Plan: Living Things





This is a concept map of a Science lesson I actually perform with my students on living things.   I bring up traits and types of living things then ask  them to give me some examples of each trait and type.  The students are encouraged to raise their hand and provide answers for each category.  I place these on the board and have students match them into groups.  For example,  a crab walks, needs to eat food, drink water, etc.  Grass needs sunlight and water but not shelter.   Once we complete the board exercise I have each student draw a picture of one of the animals or plants and something that it needs to live.  The next lesson we branch out into further classifications like parts of a plant,  grouping animals into types, and so on.   I could use a concept map displayed onto an overhead to "save" the discussion for the following week.  This would allow students to pick up where we left off and expand further into each feature bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment